Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Am I Lacking Gym Etiquette?

As I walked into the gym I was talking on my phone.  It was a busy time of day so I knew finding an empty cardio machine might be a challenge.  As I was finishing my phone conversation I spotted an empty machine.

I began getting rid of the contents of my pockets when I heard the guy next to me talking.  I looked and realized he was talking to me.  He said “if you’re going to talk on your phone, then go outside.  Let us exercise in here” with a condescending smile.  I was in awe that he just said that to me.  I was there for maybe ten seconds.  I was literally ending my conversation so I could start my workout.

I said goodbye while still staring at the guy with a puzzled look on my face.  I couldn’t believe it.  The guy had ear buds in his ears; he shouldn’t be able to hear me, at least very well.  I don’t consider myself a loud phone talker. 

I’m typically the one that disagrees with people using their phones loudly in waiting rooms, planes, elevators or confined areas…but, I literally just walked up to that machine and was there maybe ten seconds before this guy so rudely interrupted me.

Was I really that rude?  Or, was the guy the rude one?  These questions puzzled me over the next thirty minutes.  I wanted my phone to ring so I could have another conversation and annoy the guy.  I began to wonder if that was a thing listed on the Do Not’s of my gym rules.

My new friend began talking to the lady on the other side of him.  I wanted so badly to tell him to take his conversation outside, so “we” could exercise in here.  I refrained.

A few minutes later he got off of his machine and I saw him getting ready to leave.  At last I caught him on a violation; he didn’t wipe down his machine after using it.  The lady on the machine next to him then wiped hers and his down.  Dang! They were a couple and she was nice enough to wipe his down too. 

What do you think?  Am I the inconsiderate one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think. Please leave a comment.